School Counseling Programs Outside the United States

A reader inquired about how to find graduate school programs for school counseling outside of the United States.

Q: I am in Indonesia and planning to pursuit my Master Degree major in Counseling and Guidance. I know your e-mail from the School Counselor blog :) I have several questions here, Do you know any good Universities in Taiwan, German, and Australia that have Counseling and Guidance as one of the Major? Do you have any Study Plan for Counseling and Guidance, that i can see as my reference?

A: I have looked on the Internet for schools that are in Taiwan, Germany and Australia.  It was difficult to find anything.  I did not find any schools specifically. I found the Australian Guidance and Counseling Association.  They may be able to give you more information about programs in Australia. I would recommend emailing someone in that organization and asking them if they know of School Counseling Programs in Australia.

There is a website called that has a searchable database of schools all over the world. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any graduate schools for school counseling in the countries you specified.

In the United States, the American School Counseling Association (ASCA) lists ideal roles, responsibilities, and education requirements for school counselors. ASCA also has resources for requirements to be a school counselor in each state

There is also an agency that monitors standards of school counseling and other programs called CACREP. CACREP Stands for Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. There are many reasons to choose a CACREP accredited program, but the main reason I recommend choosing a CACREP accredited program is because CACREP programs must meet standards set by the profession. For more information about CACREP, see my post Navigating Graduate School for School Counseling

I hope this post has given you some information about how to continue your search for graduate schools with school counseling programs outside the United States.

Does anyone else have information about finding graduate schools for school counseling outside of the United States? I would love to hear from you to answer this question further. Comment below, email metweet, or share on the School Counselor Blog Facebook Page!

Danielle is a K-12 Certified School Counselor, Nationally Certified Counselor, and blogger at School Counselor Blog, a place where school counselors share innovative ideas, creative lesson plans, and quality resources.  Contact Danielle via email, follow her on twitter, and become a fan of the School Counselor Blog Facebook Page.

Popular posts from this blog

Take What You Need, Give What You Can Sticky Note Board

Spring Mindfulness Bulletin Board with QR Codes

FREE Career Interest Games and Inventories on VA Career View